30 May 2016

I thought I'll just fix a wheel bearing

I returned recently from New Zealand and brought a new stub axle, front brake rotors including hubs, set of pads etc. from there. The stubs that were installed when buying the car were ruined by some of the previous owners. It looked like someone had tried to fit wrong sized wheel bearings with an angle grinder. I had already changed the left side stub axle and hub and started to change the right side this time.


At this point I felt I just must do something for the rusting body. The car looked sad. Notice the driver's door misalignment as a result of the damage during the shipping and quick fix after that.


The car leaned a bit and I wanted to check the condition of rear leaf springs. I removed them and took them to the workshop, which was the right thing because the other master leaf was halfway cracked cut. New master leafs were made, one extra leaf inserted per side and the rest renewed.

 
While working there near the fuel tank I noticed a small fuel tube leak. Emptied the tank and removed it. The tank was actually in good condition, just needed cleaning and a new protective paint.



Now back to the rusting body. First welded patches for years.



And then the other side, which was a bit worse.




I hope the rest will go as well as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment